FEBRUARY 27, 2022
PASTOR STEVE O’BRIEN
SERIES: WHO DOES JESUS SAY HE IS?
TITLE: “THIS SICKNESS WILL NOT END IN DEATH!”
SCRIPTURE: JOHN 11:4, 14, 25-226
John 11:4 (NIV)
This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.
John 11:14 (NIV)
Lazarus is dead. And for your sake, I am glad I was NOT there, so you may believe.
John 11:25-26 (NIV)
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
HE IS D – E – A – D !
1. Imagine the confusion.
2. This sickness will not end in death.
3. He is not sleeping, he is dead! He is not taking a nap… not partly dead… not almost dead… not mostly dead. Lazarus is laying in his tomb. By the time we get there he will stink-eth!
4. Shocking statement: I am glad that I was not there.
5. If Jesus was just talking about Lazarus, we would have no reason to hope.
6. Something must first be completely dead before it is resurrected.
I AM THE RESURRECTION
1. “For my FATHER’S will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.” (John 6:40, NIV)
2, The resurrection is not just at the end of days.
3. Resurrection is anywhere Jesus is.
4. And what, exactly, is resurrected? This physical body? My Spirit? Part of the answer lies in the next part of the statement.
I AM THE LIFE
1. Life is something precious to us. We hold onto it. Protect it.
2. JESUS SAID, “For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.””(John 6:40, NIV)
3. The person who receives life…especially after death…appreciates that life.
4. THE WOMAN AT THE WELL - “Indeed, the water I give him, will become in him, a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” (John 3:14b, NIV)
5. This tells us that this life and our death, is not all there is. Jesus says, I will raise you up at the end of days. We are destined to live an eternal life. It is why the believer should not fear death.
Keep Reading >>